Updated on 12.04.2012
- Aerial view of one of Syria’s known chemical weapons stockpile locations.
Several US media outlets are reporting US intelligence sources observing that the Syrian military has begun mixing certain chemical components necessary for the production of Sarin nerve gas.
“Engineers working for the Assad regime in Syria have begun combining the two chemical precursors needed to weaponize sarin gas, an American official with knowledge of the situation tells Danger Room. International observers are now more worried than they’ve even been that the Damascus government could use its nerve agent stockpile to slaughter its own people.
The U.S. doesn’t know why the Syrian military made the move, which began in the middle of last week and is taking place in central Syria. Nor are they sure why the Assad government is transferring some weapons to different locations within the country, as the New York Times reported on Monday.
All that’s certain is that the arms have now been prepped to be used, should Assad order it.
“Physically, they’ve gotten to the point where the can load it up on a plane and drop it,” the official adds. “
This story is still breaking and complete details weren’t available. The CNN reporter gave the story about four sentences, just enough information to raise more questions. It’s obviously a dire development. Here’s what I have found on this story today:
U.N. pulls ‘non-essential’ Syria staff due to insecurity as Syria denies plans to use chemical weapons against its own people
Four months earlier:
- Clinton Warns Syria Against Using Chemical Weapons (newsy.com)
- Report: New signs of activity at Syria’s chemical weapons sites (warsclerotic.wordpress.com)
- Syrian shells hit Turkish border town (telegraph.co.uk)
- Western intel detects movement of Syrian chemical weapons as Washington warns of deeper involvement (timesofisrael.com)
- Assad warned he is ‘accountable’ if chemical weapons used (itv.com)
- Official: Syria moving chemical weapons components (cnsnews.com)
- Israel sought Jordan’s permission to bomb Syria (phantomreport.com)
- Unusual activity at Syrian chemical weapons sites amid rumors Assad is dead or fled (warsclerotic.wordpress.com)